mouse problems with X

werelord werelord at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 19:46:30 PDT 2005

I posted this on the Gentoo forums, but also going to ask here to see
if I can get my problem solved..

I'm having problems with setting up X11 on a new system.. the X
session starts correctly, I can see everything just fine; however
whenever I move my mouse, the cursor jumps all over the screen, and
adds input to the terminal windws that are open..

Here's my xorg.conf setup for the mouse:

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier   "Mouse0"
  Driver       "mouse"
  Option       "CorePointer"
  Option       "Protocol" "PS/2"
  Option       "Device" "/dev/psaux"
  Option       "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
  Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

I've tried multiple things; device changed to /dev/psaux,
/dev/input/mouse0, /dev/input/mice (all of which give output when
mouse is moved).. Tried ImPS/2 as a separate protocol... nothing
works..

Mouse is a cheap wireless mouse (Amptron), hooked up to a 4-port KVM
(which is hooked up to the PS/2 mouse port on the system).. I don't
think its the mouse, as I've had no problems with X and the mouse on a
different system (was also hooked up to the KVM).. Only difference
between the one I had working was the hardware itself (motherboard),
and also the previous one used genkernel, while this time around I
compiled my own..

Per a suggestion, I loaded up Suse LiveDVD to see if the mouse worked,
and the mouse works just fine.. Here is the InputDevice section of
Suse's xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "mouse"
  Identifier   "Mouse[1]"
  Option       "Buttons"   "6"
  Option       "Device"    "/dev/input/mice"
  Option       "name"       "ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse"
  Option       "Protocol"  "explorerps/2"
  Option       "vendor"    "sysp"
  Option       "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5"
EndSection

which is strange, because my mouse is not a Logitech Explorer mouse
(Amptron mouse, in fact).. When I copy this over to my xorg.conf on
the gentoo system, and boot into Gentoo the problem isn't fixed;
cursor jumps around, and appears to be generating input into the
terminals.. So this did not fix the problem..

I've also tried alternate thing (bypassing the KVM, and also a
different mouse), and nothing has fixed the problem.. Could there be
something else that may be the problem?? Any options within my kernel
that I may have missed??

Thanks in advance for any help..
--
\\//\\//