Questions about building 4.2.0 (imake and xmakefiles)

Alexander Gottwald alexander.gottwald at s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Mar 1 09:39:01 PST 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, james osburn wrote:

> Questions about building 4.2.0
> First of all I don't have a choice about using something other than X 4.2.0
> at this time.
>
> 1. How does imake work or how are the xmakefiles built?
> Are they xmakefiles built using imake?

imake is basicly cpp. imake generates Imakefile.c which looks like
          #define IMAKE_TEMPLATE "Imake.tmpl"
          #define INCLUDE_IMAKEFILE <Imakefile>
          #include IMAKE_TEMPLATE

and then runs cpp on that file. The result is a Makefile
The files in config/cf define what gets substitutet in the Imakefiles

bye
	ago
 Alexander.Gottwald at s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723