ATI Radeon 7500 Mobile (On Dell 5100) with External Monitor

bob franken zonyl at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 10:54:17 PST 2005

>From: Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com>
>On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:12:37 -0500, bob franken <zonyl at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> >    I have an ATI Radeon 7500 Mobile video card in my Dell 5100 that
>doesnt
> > appear to play nice when I hookup up an external monitor.   My laptop
>LCD
> > alone works with the config generated by X -configure, however, when I
>plug
> > in an external monitor, neither display then works.  I noticed that
>X.org is
> > showing drastically different information about the DAC detected for
>Primary
> > and Secondary devices when the ext monitor is connected and when it is
>not
> > (possibly DDC is getting messed up?)
> >
> >    I tried all sorts of different options in the ATI man page, without
>any
> > success in getting both displays working at the same time
>(MonitorLayout,
> > MergedFB, CRT2xxxx, etc).
> >
> > My config:
> > http://www.sharpee.com/xorg.conf.new
> > Without ext monitor (LCD works fine)
> > http://www.sharpee.com/noext.txt
> > With ext monitor (Neither display works)
> > http://www.sharpee.com/yesext.txt
> >
> >     Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -J
> >

>it's not detecting your setup correctly.  to force the correct
>configuration, uncomment this line:
>Option     "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, CRT"
>what are yout trying to accomplish?  dualhead?  clone?
>
>Alex

Enabling the MonitorLayout allows the LCD to show up when the ext monitor is
displayed, however, I still get no video on the ext monitor.   At a high
level, I am just trying to use my ext monitor (NEC: G90FB) with my laptop
(in clone mode) when docked.

new config (with MonitorLayout and MergedFB enabled):
http://www.sharpee.com/xorg.conf.merged

new out:
http://www.sharpee.com/mergedfb.out

Thanks