Who is stomping PCI config space?

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Fri Mar 4 03:25:47 PST 2005

Benjamin Herrenschmidt writes:

 > I had a report of something similar with X and a mach64 ... I haven't
 > yet investigated, but basically, X is using "fbdev" (so no specific
 > driver) and seem to be disabling memory access to the card, thus blowing
 > up the kernel fbdev.

Benjamin,

I faintly remember adding code to the Xserver that it wouldn't do this
when you only used fbdev drivers.
It may do this for setup (ie. probing) as it has no idea about the drivers
it is going to encounter. With the new interface I've added we may actually
change this. I'm already doing this to determine if I need to enable PIO.

I need to look at this code again, though.

Egbert.