Who is stomping PCI config space?

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Fri Mar 4 04:02:34 PST 2005

Jon,

you know well that we are not living in the same time zone, so you
may want to give me some time to answer.

Jon Smirl writes:
 > Hopefully someone who knows what is going on with VT switching and how
 > hardware gets enabled will respond and we can get this fixed in the
 > server.  I see Zoltan's patch but we shouldn't have to tell X to leave
 > hardware alone that doesn't belong to it. X just has no business
 > messing with cards it does not own.

Err. We can reenable the card if no other card is interested in this
kind of legacy resource (we distinguish between mem and io resources
as we can disable them separately). And as far as I remember X does
this already when it is not in setup mode.
However if your X driver says it needs these resources - during
'normal' operation, not setup - then there is no way around turning
of other cards.

 > Meanwhile I am forced to write to PCI config space and reenable IO
 > access from inside my interrupt handler. Yuck, yuck, yuck!!!

Even with a central resource manager (regardless if you have it inside
the kernel or not) your interrupt code would have to do this - as
you don't know if the code you are coming from needed to access these
these ports on another card.

Egbert.