VIA and VGA BIOS image is wrong!! CheckSum = 5e403c

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Wed Mar 9 08:00:01 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 07:45:09AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > This was fixed about a year ago; the ECS G320 (subsystem ids: 0x1019,
> > 0xB320) users were experiencing the same problem. The via driver in Xorg
> > cvs doesn't segfault any more, and unichrome.sf.net cvs doesn't use VBE
> > at all any more when hardware is supported. (Thomas Hellstrom has added
> > vbe modesetting to work around our inability to properly support the
> > unichrome pro panels at current).
>
> I read this wrong and assumed it was fixed in official xorg since it was a
> fixed a year ago. But I still have same problem. Is there a reason why
> this was not included in official xorg release? Or will it be in the next
> xorg release (like maybe 6.8.3)?
>
> (By the way, FreeBSD had older version in ports, so I used pkgsrc to
> install xorg on FreeBSD.)
>
> If anyone is curious, with official release, -configure set "vesa" as the
> driver. That didn't work -- no screens found. I set it to "via" and got
> the core dump again. The log is here:
> http://pilchuck.reedmedia.net/jeremy/tmp-c5t/Xorg.0.log
>
> > You should be able to compile the last unichrome release np against
> > 6.7.0.
>
> Will this be committed to xorg soon?
>
> Anyways, I'll try to give it a try when I have time.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
>  Jeremy C. Reed

Yes, there is a reason; i only thought about trying to push it into
6.8.2 a few days before the closing call, at a time when there were some
problems with the driver iirc (like every few weeks, it seems :)).
6.8.2 was also a bugfix release, but that doesn't really count as the
via driver is essentially one big heap of bugs strung together. Not
pushing it through was also the easy way out :)

The latest unichrome release is in xorg CVS, and the unichrome driver is
getting better, cleaner and smaller all the time; i'll do my best to get
it the next xorg release.

Luc Verhaegen.