Modularization mailing list and initial strawman proposal

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Fri Mar 11 13:20:08 PST 2005

Hi,

A few weeks ago the Modularization Working Group was announced, and
several people expressed interest in helping out.  Many of them attended
the recent X Developers Conference meeting in Boston and talked about
how modularization might be accomplished.  Since there had not been very
much discussion on the mailing lists after the initial announcement, we
decided to take advantage of our face to face time to lay the groundwork
for creating a proposal.  We have now worked through the issues that we
discovered in an effort to create a strawman proposal that describes the
rationale for modularization, attempts to address the known concerns
people have raised, provides background on other modularization efforts,
explains what the modularized source tree would look like, outlines the
steps required to take this idea from concept to release, and suggests
how future modular releases can be handled.

Please note that this is only an initial strawman proposal.  Nothing is
set in stone.  We would like to open the discussion up to the larger
community and the Architecture Working Group to build consensus.  Feel
free to comment.

The initial strawman proposal has been put into the X.Org wiki here:

    http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularizationProposal

In addition, a mailing list has been created on our new mailing list
system for those who are interested in discussing the strawman proposal
and working on modularizing the source tree.  To subscribe to this list,
please visit: