FB model basic issues (WAS: radeon, apertures & memory mapping)

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Tue Mar 15 03:30:56 PST 2005

Ville Syrjälä wrote:
  > I think that making the assumption that all memory is preserved when
the
> memory layout (virtual resolution and depth) doesn't change is perfectly
> valid too. That would allow X to do it's Ctrl-Alt-+ and - things without
> repainting the whole screen.
I'm not sure I agree here, as it's not always true. For instance, the
radeon has some restrictions whether it can use tiling or not with a
certain mode (interlace/double scan) thus you need to redraw everything
anyway (which is exactly why I implemented a driver workaround to
repaint everything when that happens - in fact the workaround also gets
rid of the offscreen contents, which is not necessary, but was much
easier to implement, since I couldn't find an easy way to "invalidate
the framebuffer"). What's the big deal with repainting everything? It's
not like you would do 100 mode changes per second so it would be
performance-critical...

Roland