direct rendering .. help please

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 15 06:51:17 PST 2005

>> apart from the no fbconfigs warning), but I couldn't find a way how
>> you'd output a more sane error message.
>> If you disable it by default, noone will test or use it. Is it really
>> important the xorg dri driver works by default (in cvs)?
>
> I don't think so.  cvs HEAD is the development branch and the latest
> mesa will be separate/merged in for the next release anyway.  I say
> leave tiling enabled.  If you don't know what you are doing use 6.8.x.

I generally agree with this, except that the point about very cryptic
failure modes is so true.

This needs to be fixed in Mesa drivers - if there is a mismatch or an
error of some sort it should be reported.

For example, why does it take LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose (and not even
LIBGL_DEBUG=1) to diagnose the issue of absent *_dri.so library or wrong
permissions on /dev/dri/cardX ?

                              best

                                 Vladimir Dergachev