interlaced video question for you XV experts

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Mar 17 13:54:56 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 16:41 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> A standard TV signal requires interlaced video. How does XV maintain
> sync when playing a video file?

XVideo doesn't handle interlacing AFAIK.

> For example say I am playing an interlaced file to TV out. How is the
> framebuffer set up, is there one full screen progressive buffer that is
> updated at 30Hz and then scanned out interlaced at 60Hz, or is it a half
> size buffer that is updated at 60Hz?

As I said, it's implementation dependent, but in my experience,
interlaced modes usually work by scanning out every second line for each
field.

> If there is an half sized buffer what happens when playing interlaced
> video to a non-interlaced display?

Without very sophisticated de-interlacing it looks like crap and/or
visual information is lost.

PS: In the example you posted to the dri-egl list, it's probably the
player application that does the de-interlacing. If you really want to
learn how all this works, you should probably ask on a video related
list...