Possible TGA2 support?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 06:11:25 PST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:02:13 -0500, Tomasz Mloduchowski
<qdottbm at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm quite eager to try - it's not a blocking problem, as I can put in
> (running now) some S3-based card, and it will work.
>
> However I feel like soon we will see a lot of modern Alphas hitting
> and flooding ebay - with demise of windows NT linux or *BSD are only
> OS in cost range of enthusiasts - and general performance of the box
> is quite good as for 600MHz box.
>
> Also, according to DEC-provided leaflet I got with this box (second
> hand) TGA2 performs better in 2d operations than Voodoo3, so it's by
> no means a crappy card. Add maximum supported resolution of 2048x1576
> and fast data bus.
>
> And, this card may work in PC computers (probably) - at least the ones
> with PCI64 bus (some PII-PIII server boards - again, hitting ebay now)
>
> So, anyway, I'd be happy to try, but I quite newb in the area.

the specs are still available here:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/dec-docs/index.html
your best bet is probably to add support for tga2 to the tga driver;
the chips are probably fairly similar.  I think I still have one
floating around if you manage to get something working.

Alex