Xorg snapshots, and i915 driver

Alain Gagnon agagnon at oriso.com
Thu Mar 24 13:44:42 PST 2005

>for a variety of reasons the X server for intel chips is limited to
using the bios for mode
>setting.  if your bios doesn't have it, you are pretty much out of
luck.  A few people have
>managed to add new modes to their bioses using the i855resolution tool,
YMMV.  Ask your
>laptop manufacturer to update their bios with update mode information.
>
>Alex

Thanks for the advice, I did try the tool, but it seems the bios has
gone through a change, it's not detected (since it was written for a 855
chipset) and while I can list the modes it supports (with no mention of
a 1280x800) when I attempt to set it, it seems succesful, but a second
listing just shows the previous modes, as if the bios wasn't writable
to, or prevented the tool to update it.

I'll try and get the manufacturer to confirm why the 1280x800 mode is
not in the available choices, or at least to confirm how I can run it
under X.

Thanks again,

Alain.