Xorg snapshots, and i915 driver

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 06:16:11 PST 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:14:20 +0100, Olivier Galibert <galibert at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 04:31:51PM -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > for a variety of reasons the X server for intel chips is limited to
> > using the bios for mode setting.
>
> Are the reasons available somewhere? I.e. is it a documentation issue
> or something else?

Intel hasn't released the programming specs and, I believe part of the
problem is the i8/9xx chips use 3rd party DACs and LVDS/TMDS parts
that may or may not have specs available, or may be under certain
licensing agreements.  Supporting tons of DACs and digital
transmitters would be a lot of work.  Plus it may be tough to identify
which systems use which combinations of parts.  At least that's my
understanding.

Alex