X.org 6.8.2 and Unichrome

Hugo Mills hugo-xorg at carfax.org.uk
Wed Nov 2 06:20:10 PST 2005

[Copy of an email I sent to unichrome at shipmail.org earlier this week.
No reply yet, but Ivor suggests sending here as well.]

   Hi -

   I'm trying to get the latest Unichrome "snapshot" drivers from
ivor.org to work with X.org 6.8.2 on Debian. I'm using a vanilla
kernel.org 2.6.14 (which has a number of VIA DRM updates, I
believe). With a bit of random fiddling (removing a __user declaration
in one of the structures, and #defining VIDEO to 0 in a couple of
places) I can get the XvMC layer and X drivers to compile and
install. I have built xine-lib and xine-ui from Xine CVS, which has
the necessary xxmc support in it.

   On playback, I'm getting a large number of dropped frames (5% or so
on something simple -- many more on more complex streams), and CPU
usage on an EPIA ME6000 is somewhere between 50% and 100%. From
previous experience setting up the driver, this tells me that the
Unichrome MPEG2 acceleration isn't working.

   Am I missing significant versions of something (in which case,
what?), have I done sonething fundamentally wrong, or should this
combination of software be working? URLs to logs of xine[1] and X[2]
are below, if you need them.

   Thanks,
   Hugo.

[1] http://www.darksatanic.net/xine.log
[2] http://www.darksatanic.net/Xorg.0.log

--
=== Hugo Mills: hugo at ... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk ===
  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk