Modular build failures

Wed Nov 2 17:35:10 PST 2005

I tried to build the modular tree and had to deal with a couple of
errors in the build process.

-) AppleWM and WindowsWM claim about missing files. For AppleWM it
was applewmstr.h and applewm.c. I could work around that by disabling
both build targets in the build.sh script. Not really a solution but
that does it for me for now.

-) Building the xorg tree failed in at Xprint due to missing
references. Changing /xserver/xorg/Xprint/Makefile.am fixed the problem:
   Xprt_LDFLAGS = -L$(top_srcdir)
   Xprt_LDFLAGS = -L$(top_srcdir) -L<X build dir>/lib -lX11 -lXfont
where X build dir is the directory given as prefix (i.e. /tmp/modular
if you follow the Modular Developers Guide).

-) The via driver complains about VIA_MEM_VIDEO being undeclared. I
did an rgrep on the whole modular tree and it didn't find anything
either. There was a definition in the monolithic tree in programs/
Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/via/via_drm.h. Could it be that this file
needs to be linked?

After resolving those issues I could complete the build process. The
monolithic did not have any of those problems.
Could it be related to my setup here or are these known problems?

Peter