I810(0): VBE initialization failed

Jesper xorg at j-f.dk
Sun Nov 6 19:05:09 PST 2005

I have a Dell Inspiron 500m with 855GM chip. I have had it working fine
for a long time with the 1400x1050 resolution of my screen.
But Thursday after a reboot suddenly X would not longer start. It
complained about
(EE) I810(0): Cannot map SYS BIOS
(EE) I810(0): VBE initialization failed.
as can be seen in the log file.
Before the reboot I had made a small change to the kernel. I tried
booting the old kernel but the same. Since then I have tried several
kernels with different configuraton (2.6.12, 2.6.13, 2.6.14), tried
different versions of Xorg (6.8.2, 7.0RC1) but all give this error. I
use Gentoo. I have tried to recompile most of the system, everything
that X depends on, but nothing helps.
I have tried booting Kubunto live CD and that starts fine, so I guess it
is not a problem with the hardware.
Any idea as to where the problem is?