Why X protocol/server forbid zero width/height?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Wed Nov 23 10:21:30 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 20:07 +0200, Alexander Shopov wrote:
Are you accusing us of being Cave Men? ;-)

> X Window - upgrading all the way from the cave to the space station -
> one brick at a time. (batteries not included, only interstellar hyper drive)

What isn't fully appreciated at this date is that the X11 protocol
framework is really 3rd generation: there was X1-X6, X8-X10, and X11.
In particular, X11 was a relatively clean-slate redesign over previous
versions. We got rid of a lot of brokenness in that transition.

So we had enough time to do a decent protocol framework, even if we
botched some parts of the design (most fixed in latest releases, even if
we have lots more to do).
			Regards,
				- Jim