Dual Head

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Sun Oct 2 03:06:59 PDT 2005

Björn Nilsson wrote:
> I tried to get this working a year ago, and didnt succed. I ended up
> bying a second PCI radeon card and starting up a second X server on
> that by specifying its PCI-id.
>
> using this xorg.conf:
> http://bni.dyndns.org/xorg.conf
>
> And start the second X server like this:
> X -ac -nolisten tcp -layout Layout1 :1 & DISPLAY=:1 xine --fullscreen
> --no-splash --hide-gui --auto-play $1
>
> Only one head can be "active" at the same time, the picture shows up
> at either the TFT or the TV. Mouse and keyboard input is sent to the
> "active" x server.
>
> I am also very interested in getting this to work on 1 dual head card
> only, if possible at all.
>
> On 10/2/05, Andrew Clayton <andrew at digital-domain.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>Is it possible with a single dual head card (say a Radeon 9250) to run a
>>separate X server on each head?. IIRC this means that both heads share
>>the keyboard/mouse, but windows can't move between/span screens as in
>>Xinerama.
>>
>>Just checking before I make any purchase.

Running two X servers in this configuration will probably not work. The
two heads of the card share some resources and I'm not sure if the X
servers will be able to cooperate on those.

I don't understand why just running one X server in multi head mode with
Xinerama disabled doesn't do what you want. In this mode you get two
screens :0.0 and :0.1. Windows are explicitely attached to one of the
screens and cannot be moved to the other screen without magic.

This mode should work with the radeon 9250 (I'm using a radeon 9200 is
this configuration): just set up 2 device sections for the 2 pci devices
that show up (1:0:0 and 1:0:1) and 2 screen sections. See the radeon(4)
manual page for configuration details.
--
Matthieu Herrb