Dual Head

Patrick McFarland diablod3 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 17:54:24 PDT 2005

On Sunday 02 October 2005 08:37 am, Martin Holt Juliussen wrote:
> What is missing in X to get Xinerama (or something like it) two work
> with two different resolutions? How long will it take before we will see
> it or will we see it at all? I'm considiring it a really important
> feature. (I'm really not trying to criticizer X by this mail, because
> I'm not any programmer my self and I'm not really able to help).

The thing is different resolutions in a Xinerama setup make no sense. Xinerama
is supposed to emulate one large screen using multiple screens. Can you do
512x768 on one half of one screen, and 640x960 on the other? No, the whole
thing is 1024x768 or 1280x960; so why do you want to split your emulated
giant screen up the same why?

You can't maximize windows or have fullscreen windows! How would it react? In
my example, would it be 768 pixels tall, or 960? Or would it maximize filling
only one screen? What happens to the screen space that isn't used on the
1280x960 display, or what happens to the part of the window you can't see on
the 1024x768 display?

The only way I can see multiple resolutions ever working is if all the smaller
displays have virtual desktop sizes that are the same size as the largest
monitor, (ie, the 1024x768 display would be a 1280x960 desktop that pans);
but I don't see how that fixes fullscreen windows, that would be horrible for
games.

Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || diablod3 at gmail.com