VESA, EDID & flat panels

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Oct 3 15:53:33 PDT 2005

Hi !

Somebody around here has access to the VESA specs ? I'm trying to figure
out if the EDID block, at least on recent flat panels, tells us wether
the panel digital input is 6:6:6 or 8:8:8 ... If it's 6:6:6, we should
enable dithering in drivers like radeon and "nv", while if 8:8:8, we
should not. If not enabling it on a 6 bits panel, we end up with crappy
looking gradients, if enabling it on a 8 bits panel, we basically end up
sending a 6 bits signal to a 8 bits panel, thus reducing the quality.

Ben.