Using HAL for X Server Config Properties?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Oct 7 07:56:17 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm not sure it's really a good idea to involve HAL in the X.org server
configuration process. I remember talking to krh and ajax about X and
dynamic reconfiguration at the DDC a few months ago. The thinking was
somewhat like this

 1. The X server starts up without configuring any hardware. It listens
    on an IPC interface that is not the X protocol (it makes sense to
    use a secure system message bus here, e.g. D-BUS) [1]

 2. When your display manager (e.g. gdm) and desktop session (e.g.
    GNOME) starts it looks for X servers that are not yet configured

 3. A suitable unconfigured X server is configured. The settings (e.g.
    resolution, color depth, multiple monitors etc.) is read from the
    users settings (e.g. gconf). After a while the desktop session
    can connect to the X server through the X protocol

 4. For on-the-fly reconfiguration the desktop session can connect
    to the IPC D-BUS interface and reconfigure the X server.

The key point here is this: it is paramount that the X server doesn't
read a system-wide configuration file. Actually, the departure from
using a configuration file and instead provide an API that enables some
program running in the desktop session to configure the X server
provides this. This program might even fall back and try other options.

So, I think this is the ideal way to go about it. I don't think we want
to include the HAL project in this :-)

Cheers,
David

[1] : this interface would offer this like fingGraphicsCards(),
findMonitorsByGraphicsCard() etc. though probably slightly more complex
(also include input devices etc.)