Using HAL for X Server Config Properties?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Oct 7 08:45:19 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 17:09 +0200, Ikke wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 10:56 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> >  3. A suitable unconfigured X server is configured. The settings (e.g.
> >     resolution, color depth, multiple monitors etc.) is read from the
> >     users settings (e.g. gconf). After a while the desktop session
> >     can connect to the X server through the X protocol
> Just a little question: what if I got 2 systems somewhere, both with
> different hardware (say, one got 2*19TFT screens and a graphics tablet,
> other one a 15" CRT). I got one server, where all /home's are stored,
> exported over NFS. When logging in on a machine, /home is mounted from
> the server.
> Now on both clients, I need a completely different X config. Not only
> hardware related: there could even be 2 different distributions running
> -> other font paths, etc.
> How would this be handled?

You would store your screen configuration under a system-unique
identifier in gconf - this is already what the GNOME Screen Resolution
Preferences capplet does IIRC.

Also.. the program retrieving this information would be sorta smart
about things.. if the settings don't make sense on the hardware it
reverts to a "find-best-resolution-etc"... which may include setting up
a VESA resolution.. using that resolution to prompt the user... and then
setup the resolution the user wants..

But now I'm rambling.

Cheers,
David