Xinerama, XRandR, NVIDIA

Thomas Winischhofer thomas at winischhofer.net
Fri Oct 7 12:21:37 PDT 2005

Carsten Otto wrote:
>>I don't have NVidia hardware to test this, but what if you configure the
>>displays "on top of each other" (TwinViewOrientation? - or whatever the
>>option is called) and rotate then?
>

> I will try that, thanks. But with that solution (if it works) I have
> to restart X whenever I need to change the resolution (rotation) -
> oldschool :(

Rotation and TwinView is a logical problem. If you rotate a
twinview-screen the orientation of the output devices changes
(logically), too.

+-----+-----+
|  A  X  B  |
+-----+-----+

rotated 90 degrees becomes

+---+
| A |                                  +-----+--x--+
|   |                                  |     |     |
+-x-+ and with out physical placement  |  A  |  B  |
| B |                                  |     |     |
|   |                                  +--x--+-----+
+---+

(X marks the logical common edge)

So, while you move your windows to the right in the above, 0 degree
setting, you have to move them downwards in the 90 degrees setting.

Starting with

+-------+
|   A   |
|       |
+---X---+
|   B   |
|       |
+-------+

leads to

+-----+-----+
|     |     |
|  A  x  B  |

after rotation. And the latter is what you want, I assume.

Thomas

- --
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria