CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Mon Oct 10 01:06:14 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 17:49 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Right now I don't expect any driver to do component alpha text.  So I
> > don't see the point in adding a flag before we make exa help drivers get
> > this done (and at that point, we could remove the check from the commit
> > in question).  The patch I was working on would have been a small step
> > towards being able to do a CA helper (it added functions to pin pixmaps,
> > which we would need in order to do this), but I couldn't get it to make
> > this same improvement to text performance for some reason.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> Note about pinned pixmaps: I really have a problem with those. I'm
> already getting calls in the current X.org CVS to PrepareAccess for
> pixmaps that are pinned and of a different bpp as the front buffer.

Ah.  The intention of the pinned pixmaps in my mind is just for the
purpose of helping to attempt an accelerated op.  For example, with
component alpha we'd like to copy out the [chunk of the] destination
pixmap, and use it as a source with the source and mask to do the
composite into the real destination.  If making the temporary for the
destination results in kicking out the source, mask, or destination, we
lose.  However, if we could hold them still for a moment while we try to
fit the temporary in, that would be nice.

However, your point is good.  In fact, what I was trying with exaGlyphs
would have been illegal, because it would have been pinned across whole
exaComposite()s.

Eric Anholt                                     eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt at FreeBSD.org