Using HAL for X Server Config Properties?

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Mon Oct 10 14:48:26 PDT 2005

[trimming hal at l.fd.o.]

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 10:55:53AM -0700, Johnson, Charles F wrote:
> Maybe I'm being dense, what is the end user benefit of moving the X
> Server configuration information from the text file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf)
> to where it is managed by some kind of configuration API as refered to
> here.  Is this just engineering goodness in that it will make it easier
> to support other operating systems, etc ??  Or is these seen as a
> necessary infrastructure improvement needed before we can handle Hotplug
> and some of these X11 devuce management issues ??  If there is a bigger
> picture here, then I want to make sure I'm seeing it.

In many ways, it's infrastructural.  One of the most common complaints
I see from Ubuntu users is, 'I changed my resolution in GNOME and every
time I start GNOME the resolution changes but how do I change it for
the login screen too?'.  Right now we have a bunch of stuff (Xrandr,
f.e.) which, while good and useful in themselves, are also hacks
around the lack of configurability we currently have.