Poor graphic performance on java apps

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Tue Oct 11 01:13:37 PDT 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:03:01 +1000 Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> babbled:

> > Java is a bit slower sometimes when running under Linux which has 2 reasons:
> > * X causes more overhead compared to a kernel-based rendering
> > structure, however X's design is much better
> > * Java is not as optimized on X as its on Windows, especially in areas
> > of desktop applications (Java2d).
> >

> The first one is just bullcrap if you think anything do with
> kernel/user space rendering or network transparency is in any way to
> blame for Java being shit on Linux/X, you need to adjust your
> substance intake...  the second one I'll accept as it probably hasn't
> been that well optimised.. but what I don't understand is Sun use X on
> Solaris, is Java rendering on Solaris a complete bag of crap as well?

i'll bet it is - but i bet they also don't care :) it COULD be significantly
better than it is. from what i've read (i AM extrapolating though). speaking
from the view of someone whose life with x for the last decade has been spent
tryng to make more optimised x clients than what exists... :) i've made a tonne
of mistakes - LOTS and LOTS of them. i have learnt from them :)

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com
裸好多                              raster at deephackmode.org
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)