slow exa radeon, dri disabled

Torgeir Veimo torgeir at pobox.com
Thu Oct 13 16:12:00 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 02:32 -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:

> > This is a thinkpad T30. Is 16MB memory sufficient for using EXA
> > acceleration. using either the xcompmgr or the built in compositor
> > support in metacity runs a bit slow when I get more that a few
> windows
> > on screen.
>
> Take the amount of offscreen memory reported.
>
> Subtract the bytes per pixel * screen width * screen height from that
> (5880000 for you) to get how much would be left after removing the
> backbuffer your compositing manager uses.
>
> Now, for each window you have open, multiply its width times height
> times bytes per pixel.  If your amount of memory left goes negative,
> congratulations, you'll be thrashing things on and off the card if
> you've got drawing happening to/from all of them.
>
> It would be nice if we could pick a reasonable working set and thrash
> less.  I'm pretty sure both that we could do better and that this is
> hard.

Reducing depth to 16 with the current CVS code seems to work a bit
better.

One application that is still very slow though is gnome's freecell
solitaire. Am not sure what it does, but it doesn't properly detect
double clicks, and dragging cards around is very slow.

--
Torgeir Veimo <torgeir at pobox.com>