EXA Performance

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Oct 16 15:58:05 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 18:47 +0000, morgoth6 at box43.pl wrote:
> Hell[o]
>
> After Gentoo updated modular X to version supporting EXA I decide to give a try to it. I emerged to latest modular X (13.10.05) and obtain a cvs snap of ati drivers. But after enabling EXA my system become terribly slow ...
>
> Resizing any window takes ages here (For example Gnome terminal) same for moving any window. First I decide to look at archives of this mailing list but I was unable to find anything that can explain this. I wonder is this normal ?
>
> Looking at the X log's wont heelp too. I see no errors about EXA. I use Radeon 9000 128/128/DVD/VIVO on Pegasos II machine with 1GHz g4 CPU. I thik it's enough for EXA ... have I right ?
>
> Before fill a bugreport or something I prefer to ask here because I gues EXA is still experimental for Radeon and propably this problem is normal.

Two things:

 - You may have a version of EXA just before some important fixes that
were done last week, might be worth trying again with an updated source
base

 - Make sure you have DRI enabled, this should help.

In general, I also get better performances when actually using a
compositing manager (KDE has one, or use xcompmgr)

Ben.