radeon: no matching Device section for instance (BusIDPCI:1:0:1) found

dandimmitt dandimmitt at sunflower.com
Mon Oct 31 06:36:22 PST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: xorg-bounces at lists.freedesktop.org
[mailto:xorg-bounces at lists.freedesktop.org] On Behalf Of Andy Goth
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 12:20 AM
To: Discuss issues related to the xorg tree
Subject: Re: radeon: no matching Device section for instance
(BusIDPCI:1:0:1) found

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 06:55:18PM -0600, dandimmitt wrote:
> Problems configuring Xorg:
> (working with a gentoo installation)

Did Gentoo make your xorg.conf, did you edit it manually or with some
tool, or did you make it from scratch?

> Mousenot detected

Your mouse device is probably /dev/input/mice .  Go check.
With that I get a black screen with an X in the middle of it, nothing out of
the mouse
> Failed to load module “i810”

Why would you need this module?  You have ATI hardware.
I commented that out of the configuration file, so it is no longer an issue
> Problems when running startx:
> radeon: no matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
>
> Problems when running X –config /root/xorg.conf.new:
>
> Parse error on line 46 of section Monitor in file /root.xorg.conf.new

May we see the file?  Post it online and give us a link.

>             “AD”” is not a valid keyword in this section

Hmm, I wonder where that's coming from.  Typo?
The comp in questin is not functioning, so I don’t have a way to copy the
file out. I have used X -configure, and the line that had the AD in it is no
longer there. ( the line had been in the monitor configuration section and
was a default, not something that I entered)
> How do I specify the bus id?

Add 'BusID "PCI:1:0:1"' to your Device section in your xorg.conf .  But
if you already have a device section with 'BusID "PCI:1:0:0"' in it,
then it means your board appears as two devices.  I saw one such board
earlier tonight (also a Radeon, possibly identical to yours).  I don't
yet know why this is so, or if it is even significant.

There are no bus id's in the conf file at all, adding one as suggested, I
got the following statements when running startx:
Ww Vesa: no matching Device section for instance (BusID pci:1:0:) found
Ee no devices detected

Fatal error:
No screens found
THANKS A BUNCH FOR YOUR INPUT
> 0000:01:00:0 Vga compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon
9200 PRO] (rev 01)
> 0000:01:00:1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5940
(rev 01)

> Is this last item the unspecified bus id?

It's a warning, not an error.  First focus on the syntax problems.

> I would very much appreciate any suggestions

No problem.

/me twiddles thumbs while waiting for someone to have a look at my post
from earlier today... :^)

--
Andy Goth  +  unununium at openverse.com  +  http://ioioio.net/