On releasing

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Wed Apr 19 00:22:32 PDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:17:03AM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Furthermore if you realease a module you must expect that people pull
> it and report bugs on it. This may happen half a year or longer down
> the road.

Er, if you're using 3.0.2, asking them to please upgrade to 3.0.3 is an
entirely valid strategy, if 3.0.3 has been out for any length of time.

> The more often you release the harder it will be to keep track which
> problem has been fixed when - or tell them not to bother to report bugs
> unless they have pulled the latest release.

This is a red herring.  Releases are just snapshots of the code in time.
If I break something in April 2006, it doesn't matter if we don't
release between December 2005 and December 2006, or if we do regular
releases of the module within that time.  The advantage to the latter is
that you'll have a slightly more varied sampling point.  But regardless,
you'll still have to be binary-searching the revision control system of
your choice to find the commit that introduced it.