Announcing free software graphics drivers for Intel i965 chipset

Luca Dionisi luca.dionisi at
Wed Aug 23 08:46:25 PDT 2006

On 8/9/06, Keith Packard <keithp at> wrote:
> The Intel Open Source Technology Center graphics team is pleased to announce
> the immediate availability of free software drivers for the Intel(r) 965
> Express Chipset family graphics controller. These drivers include support
> for 2D and 3D graphics features for the newest generation Intel graphics
> architecture. The project Web site is

Is it going to be of interest for a desktop user?
I mean, I've got a motherboard with a Intel chipset, but not an
integrated video.
Will video cards appear, say pci-express, that could benefit from this
driver? Soon?