Feedback on GL_EXT_texture_from_pixmap

James Jones jajones at nvidia.com
Tue Feb 7 16:14:35 PST 2006

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 04:21 pm, David Reveman wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 15:46 -0800, James Jones wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 February 2006 03:11 pm, Deron Johnson wrote:
> > > I've reviewed the extension spec and I feel that this is
> > > definitely heading in the right direction. Looking Glass
> > > definitely needs something like this and I'm eager to try it
> > > out.
> >
> > I'm glad others are excited about this as well :-)
> >
> > > A couple of questions/concerns:
> > >
> > > My biggest concern is about the statement that clients need
> > > to rebind in order to get the latest pixmap contents for use
> > > by texturing. This seems to be an accomodation for devices
> > > which copy on BindTexImage. I'm mostly interested in getting
> > > excellent performance on devices which don't do a copy.
> > > Forcing clients to go through an expensive rebind transaction
> > > when it is not necessary for a device seems like an
> > > unnecessary slow-down. Perhaps one way of addressing this is
> > > to indicate to the user in the FBconfig whether the device is
> > > going to do a copy so that the client can rebind or not.
> >
> > I believe this statement has been left in as an oversite.  The
> > resolution to this issue was to not require rebinding to obtain
> > up-to-date pixmap contents.  Implementations that require a
> > copy would either need to perform that copy whenever the pixmap
> > is rendered to, or simply not support the extension.  This
> > extension is meant only as a way to expose direct texturing
> > from drawables on implementations that can support it.  No
> > benefit is gained if implementations must perform an internal
> > copy.  As not all pixmaps will necessarily be compatible with
> > this extension, even on implementations that support it,
> > applications should always have a fallback path anyway.
> >
> > Please also refer to paragraph 7 in the description of
> > glXBindTexImageEXT.  This paragraph defines the result of
> > texturing operations using a pixmap that is currently being
> > rendered to.
>
> Maybe we should add some text to spec that explains that this is
> only really a problem when using direct rendering or a threaded
> server.

There are cases, even with a single-threaded server with indirect
rendering, where this is still an issue.  They are very difficult
to describe over email.  I believe we will be demonstrating
something like this at XDevConf, and then maybe we can come up with
a good description of the problem and hopefully a solution to
present here.

Thanks,
-James Jones