Installing Xorg

Russell Shaw rjshaw at netspace.net.au
Wed Feb 22 17:19:05 PST 2006

Felix Kühling wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 22.02.2006, 07:54 +0000 schrieb Daniel Stone:
>
>>On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 06:47:18PM +1100, Russell Shaw wrote:
>>
>>>Daniel Stone wrote:

>>Well, they seem to have worked for developers so far, except yourself.
>
> <rant>
> Even though i have not been whining, I find the modular build process
> rather painful. You may have noticed that the number of active
> developers is rather small too. FWIW, whenever I tried the modular build
> it was broken and needed a fix somewhere. What I'm waiting for is for
> the modular Xorg to hit major distributions so that people can build
> individual modules without building everything else. Until that time
> modular Xorg is just a PITA for anyone willing to help with Xorg
> development with limited time at their hands.
> </rant>
>
> Russell, the problems you're facing are part of the "design" of the
> modular Xorg. Every module is built against stuff that needs to be
> already installed on your system. Each configure script checks for
> installed Xorg modules that it depends on. There is currently no way (I
> know of) to build a module without first building and installing the
> modules it depends on.  AFAICT simply removing "make install" from
> build.sh will probably fail for that reason.

The scripts use pkg-config which sets C and LD flags for building
against things already on the host system.

I thought a better way would be to build the most common parts of
the tree first, then build following things against it, minimizing
input from libraries already installed on the host system.
I'm not 100% certain, but maybe the pkg-config thing only
takes effect if something required in the X tree hasn't been
built yet.

> Using the prefix parameter for build.sh and the DESTDIR environment
> variable are the options available to you for installing stuff in
> non-standard staging locations. Hope this helps.

I tried DESTDIR, but i found that i needed to add extra stuff like:

export INCLUDES="-I ${DESTDIR}${PREFIX}/include $INCLUDES"
export LIBS="-L ${DESTDIR}${PREFIX}/lib $LIBS"

to build.sh to tell it where to find headers and objects of newly built
libraries. Even then, i haven't got the whole build to complete.