855GM not changing resolutions for games

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Fri Jan 20 11:35:24 PST 2006

tuxrocks at cox.net wrote:
>> Alright, now I am beginning to feel a little stupid.  I tried placing a
> HorizSync range in my config file, and it seems to be ignored, because
> the log still shows the "not within DDC range" error listed above.  I put it in
> the monitor section: "HorizSync 30 - 50".  Shouldn't it at least decline that
> range?  I also tried to specify "NoDDC"  "true" in my Device section.
>
> Am I doing it incorrectly?  I am including a link to my config file, and most
> recent log file.
>  Xorg.conf: http://staff.norman.k12.ok.us/~wsmith/xorg.conf
> Xorg.0.log (most recent):
> http://staff.norman.k12.ok.us/~wsmith/Xorg.0.log.recent
That not within DDC range error shows up like that even when you do not
specify a sync range at all? Now I'm confused. No idea where it gets
those 45.7 and 50.5kHz values, probably auto-generated somewhere and it
doesn't look like your panel returns a hsync range at all (according to
the log, it's using EDID 1.2 (not recommended for devices manufactured
after 1st jan 2000...), an utterly useless and broken piece of garbage,
because it does not necessarily include the ONLY number you actually
need at least for traditional crts - the hsync (and to a lesser degree,
vsync) range - but I disgress...).
That HorizSync line above looks good except I don't know if the parser
accepts the spaces between the numbers and the dash.
Unfortunately I don't really know how mode validation on the i810 and
friends works, it's cumbersome enough on radeons without the need for
VBE already. Maybe someone familiar with that driver could help you more.

Roland