Need help to get VGA-to-TV working with Radeon 9250

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Thu Jan 26 06:26:25 PST 2006

Sebastian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I thought I'd be a good idea to give modular xorg 7.0 a shot and see
> if this works. Well,...
>
> The script I used (X -layout "TV layout" ...) doesn't work anymore.
> All I get is
>
> Segmentation fault: X -layout ....
>
> (mmh, my CFLAGS aren't unusally weird, -march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe
> -fomit-frame-pointer)
>
> Well, that's that. startx still works, so I set DefaultLayout to "TV
> layout" and tried again. I got the same black screen as before.
no idea there...

> (a) the radeon mechanism to disable tiling for interlaced modes
> doesn't work
>
> or
>
> (b) the radeon driver doesn't know that it should output an
> interlaced signal (allthough I told it to do so in the Modeline)
>
> or
>
> (c)
>
> the radeon driver ignores the 'interlaced' modeline option.
>
> Which one is it?
d) the message doesn't really tell you if it's currently enabled or not.
The code just checks if your drm is new enough (in case you've enabled
dri) and the virtual resolution doesn't exceed the chip limit for
tiling. But it still will get enabled or disabled based on your current
resolution, so if you'd switch from an interlaced resolution to a
non-interlaced one or vice versa it would get enabled/disabled on the
fly, without any message.

> I also read about SyncOnGreen. I don't know what that really is but
> could it be related to my problem?
>
> Is the radeon driver up to the task to make the card output an
> interlaced signal with composite sync?
Definitely yes for interlaced, and composite sync should work too.

Roland