Building Modular: Floating point exception when running makekeys

Mon Jun 5 18:28:15 PDT 2006

On 06/06/2006, at 9:40 AM, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Ashley Hooper wrote:
>>> ../src/util/makekeys < /home/ash/xorg-cvs/modular/include/X11/
>>> keysymdef.h >
>> ks_tables_h
>>
>>> /bin/sh: line 1:  9139 Floating point exception../src/util/makekeys
>> </home/ash/xorg-cvs/modular/include/X11/keysymdef.h >ks_tables_h
>
>> I've Googled and can't find anything that looks pertinent to this
>> situation.
>> Can anybody help with determining what is causing makekeys to fail
>> (I'm
>> assuming an unmet dependency, but apparently I've satisfied all of
>> them).
>
> You need to use libX11 from git rather than CVS. Hopefully this will
> help the next Googler.

As I had the same problem and it took me a while to figure everything
out, here's the verbose answer:

$> apt-get install git-core

in your X.org CVS tree go to lib/ and remove the X11/ directory. then
check out libX11 from git.

$> git clone git://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/lib/libX11
$> mv libX11 X11

by renaming the directory to X11/ the build.sh script will build it.
libX11 is dependent on xcb which you need as well.

Then you need XCB, which is in git as well.

$> git clone git://git.freedesktop.org/git/xcb
$> apt-get install check		 #otherwise you have to mangle with xcb's
configure scripts

$> cd xcb-proto
$> ./autogen.sh --prefix=<wherever>
$> make
$> make install

$> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=<wherever>/lib/pkgconfig
$> cd xcb
$> ./autogen.sh --prefix=<wherever>
$> make
$> make install

Now you should be able the util/modular/build.sh script. My machine
is still compiling but it seems to have gotten past the libX11 problem.

Cheers,
   Peter