help needed with X11 cursor and observed behavior

nick lidakis nlidakis at verizon.net
Thu Jun 8 09:13:54 PDT 2006

I will try to explain the problem (feature?) I have been observing with
my X11 cursor. Any suggestions with this would be appreciated.

Using Debian Unstable, I have been using the whiteglass cursor theme for
quite some time. The only thing that has been annoying me of late is
this: Whenever the whiteglass cursor is inside the Firefox window and
the applications is performing some action, like loading or reloading a
page, the whiteglass cursor will revert to the original black X cursor
until that action is complete. Same thing will happen when using
Thunderbird; e.g. while deleting messages.

Do I have something mis configured?

I also tried the latest Dapper Drake perceived, which loads with the
default human cursor theme. After changing to whiteglass (or any other
the other cursor themes) I notice the exact same behavior with Firefox
or Thunderbird. This time it reverts to the human theme instead of the
default black cursor theme.

If I move the cursor to the titlebar or anywhere else, I don't notice
any issues with the cursor.

BTW, I searched the archives, and nary a mention of this.

Thanks.