help needed with X11 cursor and observed behavior

John Hughes john at calva.com
Fri Jun 9 01:40:49 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 12:23 -0400, nick lidakis wrote:
> John Hughes wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 10:47 -0400, nick lidakis wrote:
> >
> >> Using Debian Unstable, I have been using the whiteglass cursor theme for
> >> quite some time. The only thing that has been annoying me of late is
> >> this: Whenever the whiteglass cursor is inside the Firefox window and
> >> the applications is performing some action, like loading or reloading a
> >> page, the whiteglass cursor will revert to the original black X cursor
> >> until that action is complete. Same thing will happen when using
> >> Thunderbird; e.g. while deleting messages.
> >>
> > See debian bug 372096.
> >

> I don't understand. The bug report states that the industrial cursor
> theme is missing from a gt2-engine theme? If that is correct, I don't
> understand how that is relevant to what I'm experiencing.

For some reason the whiteglass "watch" doesn't work - so ffox/tbird fall
back to the default.  If you don't have the industrial cursor theme
installed then you get the default default - the ugly old black ones.

(But I get the black watch, not the X).

Hum, I set my cursor theme to redglass; start firefox; load a page,
get...

open("/usr/share/icons/redglass/cursors/08e8e1c95fe2fc01f976f1e063a24ccd", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[...]
open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/08e8e1c95fe2fc01f976f1e063a24ccd", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[...]
open("/usr/share/icons/Industrial/cursors/08e8e1c95fe2fc01f976f1e063a24ccd", O_RDONLY) = 18

Looks like the problem with redglass is the missing
"08e8e1c95fe2fc01f976f1e063a24ccd" file

What on earth is that?