moving ATI driver from CVS to GIT

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Wed Jun 14 14:19:43 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 10:57:54PM +0200, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 06:48:22AM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> >        As the ATI driver lacks a clear maintainer and really wants to
> > live in git I've migrated it.
>
> Maybe a stupid question, but given the message about the mach64
> driver, what does this one cover exactly?  Radeon and following?
>
>   OG.

I still need to resolve at least one issue with the cleaned up Probe
(claim unrelocatable IO, which requires reworking of how IO ranges are
handled on big endian first) before i can even remotely claim that
xf86-video-mach64 is ready for drivers/

In theory, in my view, after lots of discussion on irc, the ati driver
should be split into:
xf86-video-mach64: for mach64*, 264* and rages before rage 128.
xf86-video-rage128: rage 128 (duh.)
xf86-video-radeon: radeon and everything more recent.

Mach32 and older support will disappear. Doing pre pci-era devices is
quite non-productive these days. And the chance that people require pci
mach32 (dated 1993) have diminished quite considerably too. For some
measure; as the tseng maintainer, i can't remember seeing any tseng
problem reported in the last year, this almost solely because of lack
of users. If anyone wants to do a seperate pci mach32 driver, he of
course will be quite encouraged :)

The (criminally insane) wrapper will disappear.

With Ian Romanicks pci rework, and the future pci-id based loading of
drivers, people shouldn't really notice much of a change with respect to
the different driver names.

Adam jackson proposed a slight loader fixup to match "ati" to "radeon",
which would fix 90% of the problems not caught by the more intelligent
loader.

Luc Verhaegen.