[g-a-devel] gnome-mag, full screen magnication and composite

Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues Diógenes cerdiogenes at yahoo.com.br
Mon Jun 19 12:55:15 PDT 2006

Hi Peter,

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 12:14 -0700, Peter Korn wrote:
> Hi Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues,
>
> I believe the cost of new video cards is coming down so rapidly that the
> best place for most of our magnification investment is around
> COMPOSITE.  Every customer I come in contact with around UNIX
> accessibility compares what we are doing to the state of the art in
> Windows commercial software.  And users have come to expect this level
> of quality, and depend upon the efficiency and productivity that is
> affords them (and are NOT willing to give that up).
>
> I agree that to make good use of COMPOSITE, the magnifier must know
> about most window manager tasks.  I think the best way to do this is to
> build magnification functionality *into* the compositing window
> manager(s) of our desktop(s).  I don't see a lot of value to keeping the
> magnifier separate from the window manager.

I think that compiz make something like this, isn't is?

There is anyone that is working on this type of support in metacity?
There is any documenation/discussion about magnification support in the
compositing window manager?

I have doubt if build magnification functionality *into* the compositing
window manager is really the rigth place. I think that the best, from
this scenario, is some sort of cooperation, but how? I think that
looking inside compiz could give me some answears. I don't like the idea
to merge these two kinds of applications, I think that if we could
maintaim they modular, let's maintaim, for me this is the greatest value
in keeping the magnifier separate from the window manager.

--
Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues Diógenes
Projeto xLupa - http://www.unioeste.br/projetos/xlupa