Issues w/ Xorg 7.0, Dell L610, and i810 drivers

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Tue Jun 20 15:34:36 PDT 2006

Alan Hourihane wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 15:36 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>
>> I'm using a Dell L610 to run FC5 (updated), and it has an i915GM controller,
>> which uses the i810 drivers...
>>
>> I can't seem to configure it correctly (I've attached the config I'm
>> using).  It seems to have two issues.
>>
>> (1) it probes for the monitor DDC sync values, which disagree with what I've
>>     explicitly configured, but looking at the Xorg.0.log file, it gives
>>     no indication of what the EDID actually said the values were (grrr... you
>>     can never have too much logging).
>>

> You've actually specified "noddc" so it's not going to read the DDC
> information.

I've tried it both ways, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

And since it won't tell me what it thinks the sync-timings of the flat-panel
are, I can enter those manually into xorg.conf in the "Monitor" section.

I also can't tell if the built-in screen is LFP, and if it's on PipeA or
PipeB,
etc...

>> (2) it then complains that "1400x1050" isn't a known modeline (no mode of
>>     this name), even though I've explicitly configured a modeline with that
>>     exact setting.
>>

> Specifying a modeline with the i810 driver without a matching BIOS
> modeline is fruitless.

You'd think the BIOS would know the modeline for the native resolution
of the panel!

> You should check out the program i915resolution to override one of your
> existing modes to the 1400x1050 mode. Given that your BIOS manufacturer
> neglected to add a 1400x1050 mode into the BIOS - this is currently your
> best route - unless you want to build the "modesetting" branch from git
> which programs the modes directly.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Alan.

I hate VBE.

Grrr.

Usually the Dell hardware is fairly solid.  Are we positive that there's no
VBE mode for 1400x1050?  I made some minor changes to the config...
now I'm not getting that warning any longer, but the local flat-panel is
coming up 1280x1024...  As if the settings for the two monitors were
backwards...

-Philip