What is libfb.so responsible for?

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Wed Jun 21 08:23:27 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 16:56 +0200, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am currently analyzing the weak performance of some GTK applications
> with oprofile, and profiles show a large amount of time is spent in
> libfb.so.
> However I was not able to find out what the purpose of this library is.
>
> I would be happy about any hints, Thanks a lot in advance, lg Clemens

The fb library is what is responsible for almost all of the software
rendering that your X Server might do.

You're probably mostly spending your time in fbComposite() and its
children, which is the Render extension software implementation.  Some
drivers have hardware implementations of this, and we're working on
making this be the case for more hardware.

--
Eric Anholt                     anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                 eric.anholt at intel.com