R3XX lockup possible solution

Peter Zubaj pzubaj at gaya.sk
Sun Jun 25 04:02:35 PDT 2006

Hi,

I tested this on my card.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R300 NE
[Radeon 9500 Pro] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R300 NE [Radeon 9500 Pro]
        Flags: bus master, stepping, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 255,
IRQ 21
        Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        I/O ports at c800 [size=256]
        Memory at dfef0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Expansion ROM at dfec0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>

First, I think, you shouldn't touch register 0x140, you write value 0x22
there. For my card there is 0x2D (this is power on default and is not
changed by fglrx). When value 0x22 is written there, I have got
corrupted console and X desktop too.

Basically I tried ut2004. With ColorTiling On. Without you fix computer
locked immediately (on game start, or in game menu). With this fix I was
able to play ut2004 for more then 10 minutes (without lock - for now I
don't have time to test more). I will try to compare other values with
values from dump from my card.

Peter Zubaj