FireMV 2400 not working with Xorg 7.1 anymore

Wed Jun 28 07:10:56 PDT 2006

Hey all,

I am at the point of giving up on 7.1 and go back to 7.0 because I can't
get my FireMV 2400 to work anymore. It seems that the second chip (head
3 & 4) is not initialized at all, and i have not found a way to do so.
with Xorg 7.0 this did work and i had a functioning 4 head system.

Since i didn't get very much feedback on my problem description  and i
am not really familiar with the internals of Xorg i am stuck.

An interesting observation was that when i ran Xorg 7.0, updated to Xorg
7.1 and ran Xorg 7.1 it did work. It seems xorg 7.0 did initialize the
card in such a way that Xorg 7.1 could also use it. So i am wondering
where i should look for the difference between Xorg 7.0 and 7.1, if
someone could at least give me some hints or directions of things that
changed from 7.0 to 7.1 that could have to do with this problem i would
be very thankful.

I assume the int10 code used to initialize the card, what is the flow on
how this happens ?

If someone is interested in the two rom dumps of the card i could mail
those privately, so maybe there are some hints in there, it is
interesting to see that the second rom is only 2k byte large. What is
stored in those roms ? The radeontool seems to be able to extract some
information out of them, so is the first 2k something like information
tables and after that BIOS code ?  If so how can the second chip be
initialized with the BIOS of the first one ? And why did it work in Xorg
7.0.

Ok i would really be thankful for information.

TIA,

Erwin