AW: Improving Xorg

Dietmar_Schindler at mra.man.de Dietmar_Schindler at mra.man.de
Thu Jun 29 01:51:07 PDT 2006

> On Wednesday, June 28, 2006 4:28 pm, conon wrote:
> > So you suggest that Xorg abandon the user who wishes to compile X11
> > themselves ?
>
> Compiling is trivial, I really don't understand the problem you're
> having.  Do you really want to build all the unrelated packages Xorg
> used to include in it's monolithic monstrosity?  Why would
> you ever want
> to recompile libXt for example?  Aren't you more interested in the
> server itself?

I cannot answer for conon, but I'll describe my problem case.
I have a homemade PowerPC Linux system with an XFree86 server that aborts when I call xset -q.
In the hope of getting a working X, I'm trying to build Xorg release 7.1.
I am not sure whether the libraries from 1999 which are lying around here are suitable, so I thought I'd better compile the current ones. Moreover, the description at http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide doesn't talk about building only parts of X, except "by hand" - and I don't know which modules I need and which I don't need.

> What exactly are you trying to do?  Are you a distributor
> who's trying to
> package stuff up for users with less granularity than the
> upstream X.Org
> provides?  Or just someone who wants to tinker around with
> recent X bits
> every now and then?
>
> I've heard a few people say they miss the "make World" approach but
> haven't seen anyone say *why* they miss it...

Since I just recently started "playing" with X, I'm not missing something from the past, I'm just missing a clear documentation how to build X that is in accordance with reality. The efforts of conon sound promising to me.
--
Best regards,
Dietmar Schindler