Improving Xorg

conon troll at arach.net.au
Thu Jun 29 05:08:19 PDT 2006

On Thursday 29 June 2006 19:48, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 07:28:08AM +0800, conon wrote:
> > So you suggest that Xorg abandon the user who wishes to compile X11
> > themselves ?
>
> If you wish to compile the _entirety_ of X11, because your distribution
> for some reason doesn't have any of it packaged, or you just want to do
> it for fun, then you're crossing the line from user into developer.
>
> > Every on seems to only think that because they like the new format
> > then everyone should like it.
>
> After a ton of initial pain, most developers seem to really like it, and
> feel it makes their lives easier.  Packagers are almost unanimous in
> loving it.  In terms of people who build X, X developers and packagers
> are the stated audience.

I use LFS because I wasnt getting what I needed from a distribution.
Just because I compile from source doesnt make me a developer.

If you no longer care about the end user - why develop?
Who is more important - the packager - or the end user?

There are users who compile from source - for one reason or another.

distributions follow source releases by about 3-6 months, too bad if
you need the functionality of the latest release now.

I was merely trying to offer an alternative - and the means to do it.

--
regs conon