Improving Xorg

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 07:31:08 PDT 2006

On 6/29/06, Dietmar_Schindler at mra.man.de <Dietmar_Schindler at mra.man.de> wrote:

> I cannot answer for conon, but I'll describe my problem case.
> I have a homemade PowerPC Linux system with an XFree86 server that aborts when I call xset -q.
> In the hope of getting a working X, I'm trying to build Xorg release 7.1.
> I am not sure whether the libraries from 1999 which are lying around here are suitable, so I thought I'd better compile the current ones. Moreover, the description at http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide doesn't talk about building only parts of X, except "by hand" - and I don't know which modules I need and which I don't need.

Hi,

The Linux From Scratch project has some instructions for building
modular X.  Unfortunately, it doesn't solve one of your problems -
which modules do you need.  That just comes from getting familiar with
the modules.  Read the configure.in/ac for what you want to build and
trace back to what proto/libs/utils you need.  It's a PITA the first
time, but after you get used to it, you can trim X down to just what
you need.  Keep in mind that you can just build everything and have it
be no different than the old "make World".  Anyway, here's the BLFS
book page:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/xorg7.html

--
Dan