Xorg 6.9.0 freezes on AMD64 system with nvidia 6200 GPU

Robert Gilaard rgilaard at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 2 08:09:29 PST 2006

Ok, I noticed that it's NOT the application that hangs
but the Xorg server.

I just started mozilla and after a few moments of
browsing the screen freezes. However, I can still se
my mouse, but it doesn't react anymore on any action
and it also doesn't change it glyph when moving over
the apps. I then killed the mozilla app this time, but
with no result.
The mozilla app is gone from the process list, but on
the screen of my desktop it is still showing....

Look at the process list now (I am running a postgres
job on the system now):

last pid: 57081;  load averages:  2.00,  1.80,  1.61
up 0+05:19:24    17:06:54
87 processes:  3 running, 83 sleeping, 1 stopped

Mem: 632M Active, 124M Inact, 93M Wired, 50M Cache,
111M Buf, 25M Free
Swap: 3072M Total, 228M Used, 2844M Free, 7% Inuse

  PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE
TIME   WCPU COMMAND
36153 pgsql         1 139    0   679M   401M RUN
119:32 44.34% postgres
 1075 root          1 139    0   132M 24708K RUN
4:26 44.34% Xorg
77309 rgilaard      4  20    0   238M    98M kserel
1:51  0.00% firefox-bin
48975 rgilaard      1  76    0 29920K  3280K select
0:29  0.00% sshd
 1435 rgilaard      1  76    0 30004K  2152K select
0:18  0.00% sshd
 1545 rgilaard      1  76    0 29656K  2084K select
0:08  0.00% sshd
30747 rgilaard      4  20    0 89248K 16652K kserel
0:05  0.00% gnome-termina
  603 pgsql         1  76    0 84032K  4324K select
0:02  0.00% postgres
 1403 rgilaard      4  20    0   137M 11632K kserel
0:02  0.00% nautilus
 1419 rgilaard      1  76    0    99M  9516K select
0:01  0.00% clock-applet

Will check the man page of gdb now and look at that
xorg process.

Thanks
Robert