Framebuffer question

chinlu chinawa chinluchinawa at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 4 10:45:59 PST 2006

Hi,

I've been playing around with the framebuffer, and
I've been trying to render an image within the xserver
which is not going to dissapear in one second.

I've tried everything, but it doesn't seem to work.
Last thing I've done is to copy the actual
framebuffer's buffer, and paint my image within it,
But I cannot avoid which I think is caused by X's
screen refreshes.

Something I thought could help me was KD_GRAPHICS/TEXT
ioctls (from /usr/include/linux/kd.h), but it only
works within a tty, although I'm gonna try rigth now
whether it works for devpts, which I haven't.

Anyway, when I tried within a tty seems like
KD_GRAPHICS doesn't let any keypress events get
through, or at least not I how I did it, might need to
look at it further.

The target app. I'm referring to, would run on a
xserver which is not going to have a mouse running on
it, nor a wm. Just a black background and a xterm
(-fa), for which I'll provide text and images (not
overlapping one to each other at any time) throught a
ncurses app. of my own that uses Imlib2. For more
info, this app, doesn't scroll the window either, it's
static, and I've put it to work successfully within a
tty.

I don't know whether I would be able to "blend"
somehow my screen's buffer with the existing xserver's
screen buffer, so it would refresh my "custom
background", or whether I might need to start looking
at xterm sources and modify them as needed, so any
comments or pointers would my much appreciated.

Kind Regards,