Xgl and Xinerama

Jürg Billeter j at bitron.ch
Tue Mar 7 03:26:49 PST 2006

On Die, 2006-03-07 at 12:14 +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 12:05 +0100, Jürg Billeter wrote:
> > >
> > > Wow! Just compiled and installed and I have to say that even without
> > > compiz support, it makes the whole environment much more usable. My
> > > gnome panel is where is should be and some windows are possitioned
> > > correctly in the middle of my primary screen (which is odd as I thought
> > > compiz does the window placements....?).
> > >
> > > Any idea why this isn't in CVS as it's a couple of weeks old?
> >
> > It probably won't get to CVS. The plan is to let compiz handle multiple
> > screens instead of one screen with Xinerama as compositing managers can
> > do everything they want with these screens, according to David.
>
> How will that work with a 'pseudo' Xinerama setup (MergedFB, Big
> Desktop, TwinView, ...), where there's only one non-Xinerama screen?

Xglx might report the Xinerama monitors as separate screens by just
creating one glx window per monitor. I don't know how window movements
from one Xgl screen to another will be accomplished, maybe by extending
the fixes extension to allow reparenting windows from one screen to
another or by using the future coordinate transform extension to
redirect input events back to the screen the client is connected to.

Jürg